Monday, July 2, 2007

Curious Jo

Soooooo . . . it's week 5 (week 3 with students) and you'd think I'd be getting the hang of things but no.
Thursday night Angie and I work the zipline and due to Angie's fear of heights - I work the top zip tower (which I actually prefer). We ran to the store around 7:30 just as students were moving into the tent and apparently just missed a huge brown bear in the middle of camp. It was hanging around the infirmary and they chased it up the zipline path past the tower. We returned from the store and heard the whole story which totally freaked me out (especially since I was working the zipline that night). Around 9 we headed up to cabin 6 to turn on the breaker switch to the spotlight that lights up the zipline and all of camp. I then headed over to the tower - but I noticed a switch on the tree that I'd never seen before. My curiousity got the best of me and I flipped the switch - which of course as you guessed it turned off the lights to the zip tower. I immediately realized my stupidity and could hear Aaron's words in the back of my mind "Don't flip the switch to the lights at the tree" oh well - too late. I was in complete darkness and started to panic - that bear cannot be far from here. I called to Angie to flip the breaker switch which she did and proceeded to turn out all the lights in lower camp. What a mess. The light takes 15 minutes to warm up so as students came out of the tent they were in complete darkness and tripping over stuff. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid.
Alanis is so right - you live you learn.

No comments: